What is a metaphor poem examples?
“Hope” is the thing with feathers by Emily Dickinson Emily Dickinson uses a metaphor to compare hope to a bird in “’Hope’ is the thing with feathers.” She personifies hope as having feathers and perching in the soul, singing without end.
What are some poems about basketball?
Best Basketball Poems
- Slam, Dunk, & Hook by Yusef Komunyakaa.
- One on One in Basketball by Ray Fleming.
- Makin’ Jump Shots by Michael S. Harper.
- Ex-Basketball Player by John Updike.
- Urban Renewal XVIII by Major Jackson.
- Fall River by David Rivard.
- Courtesy by David Ferry.
- Loony Bin Basketball by Mary Karr.
How do I make a poem?
How to write a poem
- 1 Decide what you want to write about. Unless you’ve been assigned to write a poem about a specific topic, the first step in writing a poem is determining a topic to write about.
- 2 Determine the best format for your topic.
- 3 Explore words, rhymes, and rhythm.
- 4 Write the poem.
- 5 Edit what you’ve written.
What are similes and metaphors in a poem?
You will often spot them in fiction, song lyrics, and poetry. They compare two unlike things for dramatic effect. Similes use the words ‘like’ or ‘as’ to compare. Metaphors differ by saying that something is something else.
What is personification poem examples?
Personification in “Hey Diddle Diddle” by Mother Goose creates silly imagery, such as a dog laughing and a dish running away with a spoon. While this may be a simple nursery rhyme, it’s a great example of personification’s ability to charm a smile out of us and create a picture in our minds.
What is an example of a simile and onomatopoeia?
Simile is a comparison using the word like or as. Example: He is as sly as a fox. Onomatopoeia is sound words; words that sound like the thing they represent. Examples: bark, buzz, hoot, growl, etc.
What is an example of a onomatopoeia poem?
They are poems that make use of onomatopoeia, those words that sound like what they describe…for example: bang, boom, crash, tinkle, crinkle, pop, crack, sizzle, and so many more. These words paint both a visual and a sound picture for the reader.
What is the example of simile poem?
Your Teeth by Denise Rogers. Here is an example of the simile poem “Your Teeth” by Denise Rogers drawing a comparison between teeth and stars. “Your teeth are like stars; They come out at night.
What is an onomatopoeia poem?
What is an example of simile in poetry?
In “A Red, Red Rose,” poet Robert Burns says that love is “like a red, red rose” and that it is “like the melodie.” “O my Luve is like a red, red rose / That’s newly sprung in June; / O my Luve is like the melodie / That’s sweetly played in tune.”